Webinar Wrap-up: 9 Factors That Influence Push Notifications Delivery on Android Phones
By nalin Updated: #php echo get_post_modified_time("H:s \G\M\T"); ?>19 September 2019
Push notifications are a powerful tool available for marketers to engage, convert and retain app users. In a MoEngage webinar, Raviteja Dodda, CEO of MoEngage and Nalin Goel, VP – Products discussed the factors influencing push notifications delivery on Android phones. You can listen to the webinar here or continue reading this article that consolidates the key points from the webinar.
Take a look at our previous blog post to understand the push notifications delivery process and the factors influencing delivery.
How is Push Notifications Delivery Rate Measured?
MoEngage measures the delivery rate as the ratio of impressions to the number of messages successfully sent. Most marketers assume the successful delivery of a message to be an indication of delivery success. However, the glitch is, the cloud messaging platform accepts the notifications but fails to send it to devices that are inactive, not connected to the internet, or in an idle mode.
That’s why MoEngage considers Impression as the real measure of delivery success. While this may mathematically result in low delivery rate as compared to other platforms, the CTR will be comparatively higher.
9 Factors that Impact the Delivery Rates in Android Phones
- User Behaviour: MoEngage sends an average of 15 billion messages for all its clients in a month. We have used broad-based campaigns of all the clients to analyze the delivery rates. The results showed that while the delivery rate was around 33% for a broad-based campaign, the delivery rate went up to 48% for a segmented campaign.
- Recency: Our analysis showed a direct correlation between the activity of the user and the delivery rate. For example, the delivery rate was 80% for users who were active in the last 24 hours and 65% for those active in the last seven days. We have introduced real-time triggers that sends push notifications to users who intend exiting the app and found the delivery rate to be over 98%.
- Device Manufacturer: With Oppo and Vivo building custom OS on top of the Android that restricts the background network access of the app, marketers find it challenging to deliver notifications to their device users despite their fast growth in the mobile market. However, the other devices such as Samsung, Xiaomi and Motorola have a good delivery rate of 51% to 55%.
- Device Activity: Our analysis shows a sustained delivery with-in 2-3 weeks of user activity in the case of Motorola, Samsung, and Xiaomi. While Oppo and Vivo show a fast deterioration within first to the second week, which reinforces our observation that the devices do not receive the notification due to custom OS features.
- Android OS Versions: While the older OS versions such as Lolipop, Kitkat and Jellybean show a decrease in delivery rate, Android N has the highest delivery rate. Oreo, on the other hand, shows a low delivery rate due to Google’s new OS updates such as high battery optimization.
- Device Network: Our analysis found a clear correlation between network latency and delivery rates. We found that WiFi and 4G has a lesser network latency and a higher delivery rate as compared to 2G and 3G that has a higher latency.
- Message Time To Live (TTL): MoEngage users have access to a field called Campaign Time To Live (TTL) that allows them to set a time frame to deliver a campaign. So, if the TTL time frame is high, the GCM or FCM can attempt to deliver the notifications again to users whose device could have been in a switched off mode or out of connection in the earlier attempt. However, the TTL might not be ideal for time-sensitive campaigns such as flash sales.
- Campaign Send Time: Campaign send-time differs according to the app’s genre and use case. For example, a music app will be most active in the evening when the user is returning from work. So, the notifications sent in the evening will have a high delivery rate. Similarly, 10-11 PM can be the right time for retailers to send push notifications. Deciding a time according to the genre of the app helps in maximizing the delivery rate.
- Business Verticals: Business verticals also has a significant impact on the push notifications delivery rate. For example, a media app will have a better delivery rate due to frequent usage as compared to a retail app used during an offer or sale. Our analysis shows that the recency and frequency of an app can have a direct impact on the delivery rate.
How Can Marketers Improve the Delivery Rate for Push Notifications?
MoEngage’s Push Amplification module improves the push notifications delivery rate. The push amplification module is integrated along with the SDK to track notifications that are sent to the user and to verify if they have received it. If the notification delivery fails, the Push Amplification module acts as a fallback to GCM and delivers the notification to the device. This solves the problem that marketers face due to custom OS built by device manufacturers such as Oppo, Vivo and OnePlus.
This has helped marketers improve the push notifications delivery rate by 20% and has already delivered results for South Asia’s leading hotel chain and an over-the-top video service provider by amplifying their push notification delivery by up to 15 times and three times respectively.
Want to know how brands like Bigbasket, Travelz, and Oyo Rooms use MoEngage Push Amplification to improve their push notification delivery rates? Learn more about push amplification here.
Related Articles –
- Chrome push notifications just got richer with images and action buttons
- New! Push Notification Delivery Report 2019 [DOWNLOAD]
- FAQ: Why some of your users are not receiving push notifications? [with Examples]
- Web Push – The Economical Alternative to Emails
- Push Notifications – The Inside Story
- 5 Ways to Improve Push Notification Performance in 2019 [Download Push Benchmark Report]
- Real-world Examples of Push Amplification Delivering Growth
- How to Implement Web Push Notifications for eCommerce Marketing
- Killer Strategies for Mobile App Re-Engagement
- Introducing MoEngage Push Amplification: Industry-first solution for Push delivery issues